Monday, April 20, 2009

CMOA trip

Last Tuesday myself and the rest of Professor Hepner’s INART 100 class went on a field trip to the Carnegie Museum of Art. This museum was without a doubt the largest museum we went to and in my opinion the most diverse. Now, before this academic semester I had never gone to an art museum, or gallery or anything else related to professional or armature art. I would hardly consider myself an “art guy” or someone you can truly appreciate some of what goes on in the wild wide world of art. However, I do know what I like, and the Carnegie Museum had several things I liked and a few I definitely didn’t.

The first thing that caught my eye was in fact the very first exhibit my group went to see. It was the piece of installation art entitled “Opera for a Small Room” by Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller. I’d have to say this was more the type of art I was expecting at the Mattress Factory and it’s more what I look for in instillation art. It’s was a collection of records and other items from the house of a reclusive artist. It plays a 20 minute loop of audio and music to go along with the piece, and overall I just really enjoy the full bodied experience of the piece of art.

Another piece I really enjoyed was Stadia II. To be perfectly honest I’m not exactly sure what attracted me to this piece of art, perhaps it was my inner high school jock that just simply liked the fact that it was a stadium. I also liked the fact that there was what looked like a twister in the center, with flags and symbols of the countries in the Olympics and served as a merger of culture and such.

However, there were several pieces of art that I did not like. It was not specific pieces but perhaps more an entire genera that I don’t like. The room that featured very modern “art” which featured just brush strokes, or splatters I did not like at all. I feel it does require thought or talent and as such I did not like it all.

Overall though I like the Carnegie Museum of Art and would defiantly consider going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Blogs