Friday, April 17, 2009

BLOG#7: Carnegie museum of art likes and dislikes

The Carnegie museum of art was very interesting. There was so many different pieces of art that caught my eye. I did not see much, but I think saw enough to choose something I liked and disliked in the art galleries. There were some pieces that were just so visually engaging that I wanted to just jump into, then there were those that I was not so crazy about.

The piece of art that I thought was absolutely beautiful was Julie Mehretu's art piece of the stadium. I do not really remember the name, but I'm sure it was a stadium or coliseum of some kind. What I really liked about this piece was that it reminded me of the 2008 Olympics opening show. As a big fan of the Olympics this piece was really nice to me. The opening presentations from the 2008 olympics in Bejing was absolutely amazing. Everything from the colors, performances, and energy in that olympics, I felt came through in Mehertu's piece. I also loved the texture in Mehretu's piece. Everything looked as if you could peel it off.

The painting that I didn't fall so much in love with was Claude Oscar Monet's Nymphéas (Water Lilies). I like impressionist paintings and as we were going through the tour I felt like I could comment on every piece except for this one. It was wierd, it drew no emotion out of me at all. And, I'm a person likes to give things a chance, but I couldn't comment. Maybe I didn't like that the brush strokes were so visible or maybe I liked it so much that I was speechless. I guess I will have to go back and see that painting again.

Art is a funny thing. Somethings you really really like and then there are those things that you don't like as much, but you honestly don't know why. The art pieces that I enjoyed at the Carnegie museum were pieces that I felt I could get lost in. I liked the pieces that pulled me in and made me want to stay and stare at them for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Blogs