There were several pieces of art in the CMOA that I liked but, there were also a few that I did not like. However, I have narrowed it down to one piece of art that I like and one that I don't. The one that I like (I believe) is a painting called Landscape by Francis Bacon. I am not sure of the title of the piece of art that I did not like nor am I sure that it even had one because we didn't talk about it with our guide, but all it was was a wooden beam lying on the ground with a bunch of nails hammered into it.
I liked the Francis Bacon painting because it was very open ended, there were no definite figures in the painting. The artist left it up to you to make up your own story which I thought was really cool because in most paintings you see there are obvious stories like people sitting by the lake at a picnic or something like that, but this was left wide open. You could see a shadowy figure in some tall grass, possibly a hunter or some other predator, you could see many taller figures in the background, possibly trees or even giraffes. The painting is clearly set in Africa somewhere in the savanna but that is the only clear thing about it.
I interpreted the painting as a hunter or a poacher was hiding in the tall grass and he was about to kill one of the animals and use it for money or food. Maybe this hunter was in fact doing something illegal by hunting where he wasn't supposed to be. However, there is an actual explanation which our tour guide explained to us after we had told her what we thought of it. It turns out that the figure hiding in the tall grass was in fact a rhinocerous not a hunter.
The piece that I didn't like was in fact just a piece of wood. All that was done to it was several hundred nails were pounded into it. I really didn't understand why that was lying on the floor in such a nice art museum. I mean it was literally just a wooden beam with a bunch of nails stuck into it. I mean at least with the Jackson Pollack paintings there is a bit of historical signifigance, but what is a wooden beam with a bunch of nails stuck in it doing in an art museum. Is it suppoed to be thought provoking? The only thought I had was who the heck would waste their time hammering all of these nails into a wooden beam?!
WordPress WooCommerce Themes, Online Shops, eCommerce Storefronts
-
We know, running your own business is a big, big challenge. That’s why you
need the perfect WooCommerce WordPress theme to help you sell your
products. ...
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment