skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Art Blogs
-
WordPress WooCommerce Themes, Online Shops, eCommerce Storefronts
-
We know, running your own business is a big, big challenge. That’s why you
need the perfect WooCommerce WordPress theme to help you sell your
products. ...
8 years ago
-
-
RECAP // Coffee Date with Kevin Clancy
-
On August 20th, members filled the Mattress Factory Café for coffee and
conversation at the last Coffee Date of the series with 2016 Factory
Installed art...
10 years ago
-
30 SOMETHIN' by Charlie Finch
-
Bridging the gap between the baby boomers and the new digital generation.
10 years ago
-
MOMENTUM: new plays at different stages
-
City Theatre announces four exciting, original plays set for MOMENTUM, the
theatre’s annual festival of new plays at different stages, beginning May
31. W...
14 years ago
-
Four Years Later, Alcoa Foundation Leadership Grants Show Big Impact
-
*by David Seals*
Four years after the Alcoa Foundation launched a pilot re-granting program
through the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council, we’re asking grant...
16 years ago
-
-
-
That is such a strong statement from your dad. I think it is any parents’ hope for their children to end up in a position of stability through life and it is their dream that they be successful financially. Perhaps this idea is the one that most strongly connects to this painting. While I think that the theme behind the painting was about the struggles of the people of Haiti throughout the history of the island, I think there is a common goal among all people to achieve some level of equality with the big eater at the head of the table.
ReplyDeleteAt quick glance of the painting, at first, I did not even notice the smaller people, because, in relation to all of the other objects in the painting, they were so small in scale. I think this was completely intentional as a show of how much some people struggle to “find the scraps” of the big eater. While you said you did not view the big eater as the bad guy in the piece, I agreed with you to an extent. I noticed the kind of blank look on his face. I think we should take notice of that because I think we have become the big eaters. We are ignorant of our wastefulness – an example portrayed with your gas situation – and we have a self-centered view on life in America. We often neglect the overall world view and how our actions have a domino effect on people in the world.
I think the painting you choose was one of the most interesting on display. You did a good job of translating the title of the painting. It helps dispay the true meaning of the painting it's self.
ReplyDeleteI share the same goal of being the "big eater." Even though it might take more work to get on top, theres comfort when you get there. Your dad sounds like a positive, insperational person. I think having a positive inspiration around can make the difference between a good or bad outlook on life.
I like the interpretations drawn from the painting. More interesting is the identification with the larger figure. Most anyone would identify with the smaller figures first. Afterwards, the larger figure would be made out to be the bad guy.
ReplyDeleteI believe everyone shares the desire to be the "big eater." while not everyone performs a job in order to strike a fortune, no one wants to be financially unstable. Being in a comfortable situation provides peace of mnd as shown in the portrait you chose.
I think many people want to try and become the guy at the top. I personally believe that many of those at the bottom who show distatse for the guys at the top would quickly change their attitudes if they were to work themselves into that sort of position. I feel that many of them are probably envious of those at the top and when envy goes out of control it leads to hate.
ReplyDeleteEven though I don't necessariy wish for the same sort of life that you do I can appreciate the fact that you are working to achieve that sort of living. To work hard and enjoy what you do are some of the major keys to success. I honestly hope you can achieve your dream.