Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Owls in the Sky

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waldemar~
    I love the fact that you chose this piece. It is my favorite work on campus. I find it a really beautiful and textured painting. I could not choose to write about it because I did not feel that it connected to any of my past experiences though. I did not know, until listening to your post, that the owl and the siren were voodoo gods though after your explanation, it made sense. I also appreciate your translation of some of the phrases- my French is not so great.

    I would like to hear more about the religious traditions and the community that you made mention of in regards to your upbringing. I find the ethnic differences and approach to Catholicism/ Christianity really interesting and I would have like to have heard about yours in more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this painting on campus, but the way you speak of it, it must be a good one. I do like that fact that the painting was on a used newspaper, that really makes me interested in seeing it. I'm trying to picture the oil painting on a newspaper, but unfortunately my imagination doesn't stretch that far.
    I'm not really a religious person, but I still think its cool that you can relate your beliefs to the painting that you observed. You seem to have really studied the painting from top to bottom, which was a big help for me. Good Job Waldy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that this painting was done on used newspaper. I thought that it might symbolize poverty in the fact that the artist is showing that some people can't afford proper art supplies so they use what they have. In this case, newspaper. I just think that it is a unique idea overall.
    Also, I did not know that owls symbolized religion/voodoo in Haitian culture. Religion has also been a big part in my life. I was also brought up in a Christian home. Clearly this painting has some strong religious ties so I also feel connected to it in that way even though Voodoo and Christianity are two extremely different religions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a nice job analyzing the painting and how it related to your life. I don't know if you speak french but I enjoyed that you translated it for us. I also liked that painting. I thought it was different because it was done in an unconventional way. All the other ones were done on canvas like most paintings. I too am christian and was going to be my second choice I was going to talk about. Even though the only way they are related to eachother basically is that they are religions. I don't know much about voodoo but was interested in the paintings about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was one of my favorite paintings on display, too. It is always interesting to see an artist use alternatives to canvas in pieces, and in this particular instance, the text of the newspaper seems to add another layer to the painting. We usually view blank or empty canvas on other paintings as just the medium holding the paint in place, where this use of newspaper prevents the idea of having a void space. The colors used, if I can remember the painting correctly, are only a burnt orange (the owl) and a bright blue (the siren). This use of complementary colors, especially with colors this bright, are always appealing and have the effect of drawing people in – even if the painting is in the corner of the conference room almost behind the piano.

    Like most of the other paintings in the conference room, religion was the main theme to this painting. The painting proves that the voodoo religion plays such an important part of Haitian culture. Some of the other paintings in the room noted the combination of voodoo ideas with Christian beliefs. As Christianity has spread in popularity over the years in Haiti, Voodoo provides a historical background to the culture. This painting provides commentary on how the artists and the people of Haiti hold on to these ideas in all aspects of their lives even to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its really unique painting and painting on a newspaper is really hard. Voodoo is a religion that was brought to the western coast by slaves in Africa.And as far as you are portraying this painting. I think the owl was guarding the town or people.

    i like it how you analyze the painting and i have seen many of the painting their theme is religion. And as you described this painting relates catholism and christianity. Even now there are many haitian paintings that have owl as a sacred animal

    ReplyDelete
  8. The painting that you have chosen have many different meanings to me. One would be the fact that they could be low on resources, and wanted to show that in someway other than their painting. The other is maybe they wanted this to be a current event or news to anyone that laid eyes one the painting. But all together i like what you had to say about the painting, it was very informative, and it helped me to understand it better.

    Thank you, Sincerely Tim Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Several things stuck out about this project. Your interpretation stands out because of its relationship to religion. This painting seems to have obvious religious undertones. While the religion here is Voodoo all religious peoples can identify with this painting and the significance of religion on culture and society.

    Also, the fact that this painting is painted on an old news paper shows several things. For starters it shows the deplorable conditions they work in. Resorting to painting on used news paper rather than a canvas reveals how Latin American artists work. Also, the story underneath the painting is very real and the current events that are lying underneath the story of the painting provokes great thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though I don’t remember this painting, his descriptiveness and placement of details were enough to paint it in my mind. What he chose to paint it on is different because it is made of used newspapers with oil paintings on top. His knowledge of the details in the painting and the history of them made it even easier to understand being I don’t remember it.

    The effect of religion being a great impact in a community has been present since the beginning of civilization. It’s something no one can take away from an individual so it gives them a peace of mind. It seems to be what holds communities together in times of hardship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This certainly caught my attention. The use of newspaper as canvas certainly seems to have a couple meanings the most obvious being that it tells the viewer something about the artist and the country he lives in. Being an impoverished country the use of newspaper was most likely the result of a lack of better canvas. But to me its use seems to reflect a sort of story within a story. The painting itself tells the viewer a story but it contains even more behhind it, in a place you can't see.

    There's a disturbing lack of focus in U.S. news on impoverished countries around the world. To me this story hidden behind the story quality seems to almost reflect that. But then again this is only my interpretation of only part of the painting. But then again a large part of art is left up to individual interpretation.

    ReplyDelete

Art Blogs