Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Two Pictures,One Artist-project1

I was fascinated with the two pictures by Christopher Gielen on the We Can't Paint Blog. The first picture has three tall buildings with space between them, surrounded by dirt. A cement road without sidewalks runs diagonally across the picture's lower third of the scene. The first building is dark, the length of the picture. It may not have windows in it. A small Gothic extension adorns its front. The second building, left center, has scattered lights. The sky in the background is the light grey blue of dusk with the lingering pink of the setting sun at the bottom. The building at the far right looks more modern and a bright "Kincaid" like light on an upper floor catches the eye. Is this a decaying neighborhood or one expanding from the area in the far distance? I like the green grey of dusk on the buildings. I wonder if the building on the left represents the past and the bright light in the left building represents the hope of the future.

The second Gielen picture is an air view of a housing complex in a pentagon shape. The tiny multi-colored roofs of the houses are divided into pentagon figures by blue grey roads. In the center is a green park with sporting facilities. This picture reminds me of the "pizza" in our book, colorful and symmetric. Are these pictures photos that look like paintings or paintings that look like photos? Either way, I find them pleasing to the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Blogs