I want to be a police woman
Maclovio Rojos, Mexico-USA border, 2000
Silver Gelatin Print
The Silver Eye Museum was definitely a cool place. I had more than one favorite, but I narrowed it down and I really like Martin Webber's, "I want to be a police woman." I was drawn to this picture because it was the only picture that I could read the entire sentence in spanish and understand it. In the photo there is a girl centered and sitting between what could be her brother and sister. Her brother and sister are standing about two feet away from her on each side. The boy is holding a fake gun with a stick coming out of it and the girl is standing with her head down. I think this was a very creative way to convey this kind of message. I think the picture is symbolic for men being in control in Mexico.
As a girl I always wanted to go into a field that was very male dominate. I look at this little girl and I can relate to her. Not only does she want to "save the world," but she wants to be respected in the work force. In Mexico, many of the woman take on jobs and tasks of cleaning, cooking, and caring for the children. This girl wants much more than that. I can really see myself in this brave little girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment