Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gran Mangeur #2

4 comments:

  1. First, let me start of by saying, I think it's cool that your from Haiti. Being that a lot of these painting are haitian they probably mean a lot more to you which is why you understand it probably better than anyone else. It is very sad that the painting portrays what is currently gong on in Haiti. I really thought that the painting portrayed an older time period, so thanks for clearing that up.
    I didn't do my blog on the Gran Mangeur, but it was my second favorite painting in the ostermayer room. There are so many ways an artist can compare the rich to the poor, but I really like how this artist did it with the little people and then a really big person. I think it shows that he was really going for something different. And with his approach I believe it also show how the really big person has forgotten where he has come from. Nice job Tati!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the favorite in the Ostermayer room. I not really sure what the artist was trying to show in this painting but I look at it differently than most are looking at it. I really think that the "Big Eater" may have worked to have gotten where his sits today. But I do still believe that he sould not be making those small people suffer for food.
    I believe that he should be helping them, and maybe one day they too could be big eaters and fill the large seats at the table. The big eater has defenitaly forgotten where he came from and needs to open his. If his eyes were open I'm sure he'd help the small people up to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This peice was one of my favorites. I like how it depicted one main person eating while a bunch of little people were climbing the table. In haitian history, after slavery was abolished, the owners of the plantation promoted former slaves to run the remaining business. Thats what i think the big persons role in the peice was.
    If you look in the background, you see a bunch of people still working in the plantation. That is what led me to believe that the man eating the dinner was a former plantation worker put in charged by the plantation owner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my video blog on this painting as well, as did others. However, your portrayal differed because of the identification you had with the portrait. Your Haitian ethnicity and cultural knowledge helps to translate the painting in a unique way.

    It's interesting how it depicts the economic state in Haiti. The fact that there are ten times as many people struggling to support themselves. The fact that there are few individuals with the comfort that the larger figure has of dining with a peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete

Art Blogs