Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Addison Boone

6 comments:

  1. Addison~I found your post to be very open and honest. I think that's a really hard thing to do so thank you. I agree, it seems strange to have people smiling at a funeral, but I guess for the faithful, meeting your maker is a pretty momentous occasion. Most of the time funerals are sad and everyone is crying.

    It was interesting that you could remember the scent of your grandmother's breath even though you were very young when you met her. I think it says a lot about how powerful that sense is (even though it sounds funny) and how quick your recall of it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your blog was probably one of the best ones in the class because you had a really good connection with the art. This is a little off topic but I really like that the camera was not center and the doors behind you were white, as you told your story. I do agree with you and Jennifer that it is very strange for people to smile at a funeral, but when I think about a lot of cultures and religion believe that we should celebrate the death of our loved ones and mourn their birth. So, that could be a reason why they are smiling.
    Also, I myself have never been to a funeral and sometimes I do wonder what it would be like. I'm very sorry you never really got to meet your grandparents, but its cool that you have, at least, a small memory of your grandmother, even though it may not be the best, it's still counts. Nice Blog Addison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn E replys

    I'm an only child and didn't have much experience with funerals either. I had an aunt die when I was eight who left three small children. She was laid out at home and it was very sad. My grandmother went to live with my uncle and raised the family. There was a funeral home at the corner of the block where I lived. My school friends and I would stop in and say a prayer for the deceased on our way home for lunch. That was the extent of my experience until I married into an Irish family. For them funerals,except for the immediate family, were an occasion to see and catch up with relatives.

    Faith, Family and Friends sustain the bereaved. Don't be afraid to go to a funeral. Your presence is a great comfort to the family. Relating memories of the deceased, like the one you have of your Grandma in the hospital, help to keep the memory of the deceased alive. I think it is good that this picture has provoked discussion of a sometimes tabo subjects, death and mourning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember hearing in psychology how our sense of smell, compared to our other senses, was most related to memory so that is interesting that that is how you remember your grandmother. My most recent memory of a funeral involves my grandfather. He passed away a couple of years ago and it was a difficult time for my family because he and my grandmother lived with us. In some ways, it resembled the painting. He was 100% Irish, so my family grew up with certain Irish traditions, one of them being the idea of having a wake.

    Instead of mourning for the person who has passed, a wake celebrates their life. We exchanged stories about my pap; everything from his time serving in WWII to the last couple years’ New Years parties. It has been instilled in me to have, for a lack of a better word, a brighter outlook on death. Similarly, “jazz funerals” common in New Orleans are grand displays of celebration of life. I think this is significant when thinking about the painting because of the cultural similarities between the cultures of New Orleans and those of Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked at the painting and i think that people in the painting are from different culture. And it is really unusual that people are laughing in the painting. Normally in funerals people are crying.

    It is really sad when you lose your love one and when my grand mother died it was really hard for me to come in my normal routine. My mother told me that my grandmother didn't feel any pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that was a really great video. I started crying in the middle of it actually. Last semester I was having a hard time because my grandma was in and out of the hospital and then she got put into a nursing home. About a month later, they put her into hospice care and she passed away in her sleep. It was so hard because I was just starting to get the hang of college and then all of that started happening. I skipped some classes somedays. I figured I wouldnt miss class as much as I would miss my grandma if I didnt get to see her every chance I got. You are very lucky that you've never been to a funeral. They are horrible. Wow I cant stop crying. But I really enjoyed what you had to say and I think it was nice how honest and open you were. I think it's nice that you have a small memory of your grandma, hold onto that forever.

    ReplyDelete

Art Blogs