Sunday, March 22, 2009

My experience at the Mattress factory

The Mattress factory was very different from the museums I'm accustomed to going to. The Mattress factory was not like the Silver Eye museum. Usually you go to a normal museum and you see photographs or abstract painting on the walls. The mattress factory was definitely far from normal.  

When I found out that the mattress factory where rooms and not actually painting on the wall, i thought that was very interesting. The feeling I got from the mattress is that they want you to become part of the art piece. When you look at something on the wall you don't get the same feeling as being in a room that literally is the art. I really enjoyed the exhibits I got to see.  

One of my favorite exhibit was Yayoi Kusama's "Infinity Dots Mirrored Room." My tour guide for the museum told me that Yayoi use to see red dots on everything. I liked the fact that Yayoi made this so that people can see the world as she did. I also enjoyed Yayoi's "Repetitive Vision" i felt so comfortable in the room. I wish my bedroom was like that. When I stepped in that room I got lost and kind of forgot I was in a museum. I would love if i had a room like that in my house, a room where you can just getaway from everything. 

Another exhibit my tour guide took us to was by James Turell. I loved the piece entitled "Danae." I walked into the room and I say a blue but kind of purple screen. This made me really disappointed., but my tour guide said "slowly get closer." So I kept moving closer to the blue screen. Then I got confused because it started to look weird. So I tried to touch it and my hand went right through the wall. I was no longer disappointed. Turell really played a trick on my eyes. 

I really enjoyed my time at the museum. I hope to maybe go back some time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Blogs