Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The mattress factory experience

Before my trip to the mattress factory I heard alot of great things about it and not so great things about it.Taking the visit was something that I had to deiced on my own to determine what i felt and thought about the place.From what I saw it was very interesting to see what different artist can do with so little and still call it a piece of art, i think that's what struck me the most.
One of my favorite pieces of work was created by James Turrell.It was striking to me mostly because it was a dark room that appeared to be a projector or a small movie theater,in actuality it was an ultraviolet light that tricked my eyes into thinking I saw something that I really wasn't seeing. As I moved up to touch the blue screen it was an opening into a small room in which I almost fell out of lol. This installation was definitely something to see and enjoy.
Another all time favorite installation of mine was called "The dark side of light" by Jacob Ciocci and Jessica Ciocci. Just walking into the room was probably the highlight of the day for me. The room was filled with lots of different types of technology from past to present and it was pretty impressive.I thought it was so good that I snapped a couple pictures of it because, i thought it was such a great piece of work and well done.I remember seeing old cassette players to high definition plasma T.V's which was surprising to see it all again and bring back memories from years ago.
One of my least favorite art work was the t.v blobs. I just felt that there was no real purpose for it. On the screen was a live news shot which was annoying to see in different angles of the room. This showing was hideous and unnecessary in my opinion.I had another least favorite as well which was the unfinished piece of concrete placed in the center of a room. This structure was created by Jean Highstien,it reminded me of a giant egg waiting to be hatched. This took up lots of space that could have been used for something way more interesting then that.Out of all the showings and installations I saw those two were by far the most loached.

However,while my visitation to the mattress factory was an adventure it was also enhancing as far as expanding the mind to things people aren;t use to. I took this under lots of consideration because I was able to learn new things about art that would have never crossed my mind and I appreciated it for what it was worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Blogs