Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mattress Factory Trip

Before we arrived at the mattress factory, I didn't really know what to expect. A couple of my friends had been there last semester but they didn't say much about it. They said I should go see it for myself because it was hard to put the experience into words. So, going into the trip I tried to keep an open mind.
Turns out, my friends were right. This is definitely not your typical art museum. I've never experienced actually being able to walk through and interact with art so I thought that was interesting, and much better than just walking around looking at paintings or more traditional forms of art. I liked that each art piece was it's own room and it's own experience.
I really like the one by Turell where you walk into the room and you think it's just a purple square projected onto the wall but it's actually a hole in the wall. I liked the way they set that one up because the room you are in before that actually is just a square projected onto a wall so your mind plays games with you in the room with the purple square.
The only one I really didn't like was the room that just had a giant concrete shape in the middle that stretched from floor to ceiling and it occupied most of the room. I don't remember who the artist was but that was definitely not my favorite. Overall though I thought the museum was very interesting and much better than a traditional art museum where you just look at the works of art you can't actually interact with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Art Blogs