Despite what some friend told me I went to the Mattress Factory with an open mind. I had heard that it was quite different, weird, and odd. In some ways it was but I found it to be fun and exhilarating.
I particularly enjoyed the fun works of Yayoi Kusama. You become a part of her work when you walk into her polka dot rooms. The first room reminded me of a giant twister game with its different colored and sized polka dots on the floor. The mirrors on all sides and on the ceiling reflected them and made the room seem much larger. The recessed black lights in the ceiling gave the dark room an erie look. The second polka dot room is brightly lit with small, medium and large orange polka dots on the floor. Three nude female mannequins spray painted white,wearing black wigs with orange circles on their bodies are centrally located. They and all the bright circles or reflected in the mirrors in the ceiling and walls.
I found the many optical illusions interesting. One large yellow rectangular piece looked flat but you could put your hand in it like a box. A tall oblong red tower looked like it was below us several feet but in reality it was only down a few inches. This exhibit had sound effects of water running all around us.
My favorite exhibit was more contemporary. I would have loved to have spent more time in Winifred Lutzs' garden. She has made a work of art and an Historical marker out of the ruins of a burned down factory. She honors the Italian immigrants who lived and worked in the neighborhood while creating a refuge for contemplation.
I believe I learned to appreciate a different kind of art on this field trip. The time passed too quickly. I want to go back an browse at the Mattress Factory.
WordPress WooCommerce Themes, Online Shops, eCommerce Storefronts
-
We know, running your own business is a big, big challenge. That’s why you
need the perfect WooCommerce WordPress theme to help you sell your
products. ...
8 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment